1. What is a startup?
It is a temporary activity in search of organizational and strategic solutions that are repeatable and scalable.
2. What does scalable mean, precisely?
Given the scarce resources, the activity can be easily replicated by increasing exponentially size and turnover. Otherwise, it means the ability to have very low marginal costs with potentially infinite revenues over a short period of time.
3. What does Boldbrain program offer?
Coaching for the outline of your project, focused workshops, targeted training, as well as access to the network for the development and growth of startups in Ticino, including office space, financial aid, and exposure to investors.
4. How can I apply?
Simply fill out the application form in all its parts.
5. Are the ideas limited to a specific sector?
No, we accept ideas from all sectors, provided they are innovative by nature.
6. May I apply even if I have not yet established a company?
Yes. The Boldbrain program is aimed specifically at early-stage startups.
7. May I apply if I’m a “one-man-show”?
No, you must form a team of at least two people. Why is that? Experience shows that teams have more opportunities to succeed.
8. Can I participate if I have already registered or applied for other programs?
Once the competition is launched and registrations have opened, if you have not already applied for: Kickstart Accelerator / Venture Kick / MassChallenge / Innosuisse Startup coaching level A (former CTI Start-up / CTI Label), then you can apply.
9. If I have set up a company, can I participate?
You can apply as a company provided it been established for a maximum of 3 years from the time of submission of the application to Boldbrain. (The submission date of the application via the online form is considered to be the date of submission of the application.)
10. Can I submit more than one project?
No, only one project per application.
11. If I am not admitted to the program, may I participate in a next edition with the same project?
Yes, if it meets the requirements of the Rules. Please note that if you have not been admitted, maybe you should review your project.
12. Can I change my application?
You can change your application as long as you have not submitted it by pressing the “submit” button at the end of the form and as long as the application period is open.
13. Can I be expelled from the program?
Yes, if you do not comply with the Rules. Pay particular attention to the deadlines and participation in events, workshops and other activities. Please refer to the timeline and the Rules for details.
14. What happens after submit my application?
Only applications that comply with the Rules will be considered at the closing date for applications. Applications are analysed by a number of evaluators who establish a ranking. The first 20 best projects will be admitted to the Startup Acceleration Program.
15. In case of a negative outcome, in the program or in another phase, will I receive an explanation?
We do not provide reasons for negative outcomes because we believe that is not useful due to the large number of projects evaluated. The most frequent reasons why a project is not admitted to the program or to one of its phases are:
a. the team is incomplete or not very convincing
b. the idea is not convincing
c. the business model is not convincing
d. technical reasons relating to the Rules
16. Is physical participation required in the working spaces provided?
No. Participation is mandatory in events, workshops and whenever you are called to present in front of the juries. To find out all the dates, please refer to the program roadmap.
17. Are the workshops open only to the admitted projects?
Yes, they are organized for the 20 projects selected for the Acceleration Program only.
18. Are the coaching / workshop activities carried out during the day or during the evening?
Events are held in the late afternoons and early evenings.
Workshops are organized during the day.
Coaching activities are organized in agreement with the coaches themselves.
19. How is intellectual property and confidentiality managed?
The organization is bound by the duty of professional secrecy; coaches and teams are required to sign an NDA (Non Disclosure Agreement).
20. How many projects are admitted to the acceleration program?
A maximum of 20, of which only 10 will reach the final contest.
21. How many projects win the final event?
Only 5, chosen among 10 finalists. The audience at final event, will award another team.
22. What is the evaluation weighting of the juries for the assessment of a project?
The evaluation by the regional jury and the national jury counts for 2/3 on the documentation 1/3 for the presentation.
23. Do I need to have a prototype for the final presentation in front of the audience?
That depends on you, on your product, on its development stage, on its feasibility, and on the effectiveness of its presentation to a live audience.